Are you so flightmapping.com?
You know that you are a fan of flightmapping.com when:
- Routes - You know that the most important thing to consider when searching for flights is which airlines actually fly direct to the place you want to go from the airport you want to go from. You know that low-cost airlines are usually cheaper, but you will always look at one or two other options, including scheduled network airlines, just to make sure.
- Competition - You know that within Europe, over 90% of routes between any two cities are actually only operated by three airlines or less, and that in these cases you don't need to bother with price comparison websites.
- Cost - You know that the headline flight cost is only part of the picture -- low-cost airlines in particular are notorious for adding numerous extra charges which you may or may not be able to avoid, and you also have to consider the cost of getting to and from the airport at each end of your flight.
- Airports - You know that Frankfurt Hahn is nowhere near Frankfurt, but you also know that these days, low-cost airlines are equally likely to use the main airport in the city you are trying to get to, and you know that there are even a few cities where the low-cost airline will take you closer to the city centre.
- Window Seat - You are the type of person who is always passionate about the journey, and not just the destination. This means that you love the experience of flying itself, especially takeoff and landing, and you always must have a window seat. You also know where to find the most architecturally impressive airports, and that these are destinations in their own right, just as much as the cities that they serve.
- Connections - You know that sometimes it is much easier to fly to one city and then to continue to your final destination by train, as this can be both a greener and cheaper option when compared to taking connecting flights. You also look at train times and prices when this is a realistic alternative to flying, but you don't get all preachy about it, because you know that going by train means that you get to see a lot more, and that you can usually save money too.
- Total Trip - You know that the flight is only one part of the journey, and you also get good deals on hotels, travel insurance, travel money and car hire because you have read our guides on how to do this! Sometimes, you decide that you don't actually need a hire car for your trip, because you've read our car hire advice for the destination you're going to, and are happy to get by without one.
- It's All Good - You love travelling to exotic destinations when you get the chance, but you also know that there are thousands of beautiful places in Europe which also have so much to offer, and you love making excursions around the UK as well.
- Love travel, hate commuting - You understand that there is a vast difference between travel, transport and commuting. You live and breathe the philosophy of "love travel, hate commuting", and make sure that every trip you take is as varied as possible - so that commuting becomes travelling, but travel is never a chore. You are always exploring new routes to get between any two points, and you always love trying different ways of getting around, including walking, cycling and any form of boat.
- Maps - You only navigate using proper paper maps published by Ordnance Survey or the local equivalent, and you have no idea what a SatNav is or does. Maps to you are works of art, especially any transport system map based on Harry Beck's original London tube map.